Monday, October 27, 2008
When it came to building balloony we changed plans slightly, we decided to make it out of balsa which is relatively cheap and very light, this way the machine didn't need to much power behind it to make it move. This then allowed us to make a frame structure to dimensions we were happy with.
We also scrapped the idea for the cams as we felt we it we be a little to complex to fit into the design this then accommodating for more pens running through the middle of the square frame.
We wanted to make the machine fun and vibrant which lead to the bright blue, pink, orange and yellow which we found worked well as a colour combination as well as being eye catching.
When it came to building the machine only half of the group turned up which meant 4 of us giving input into the machine rather than 8. However i think this ended working to the advantage of the 4 of us that ended up building it as there was a smaller group to work with which meant a bit more direct action to construct the machine.
Posted by Nix at 9:43 AM
Posted by Nix at 9:17 AM
Once we had been put in to groups we pooled our resources and discussed ideas. With 8 people in the group it gave us a lot more scope to work on an idea discussing why somethings things would work better than others and if they were possible to build in the time scale allotted. The particular problem we had to over come was how to propel the machine forward, with the tree ideas consisting of fans, balloons and remote control. We all came to the conclusion balloons would be best as there cheap, easier to get hold of and light.
We all agreed the machine should have wheels and be made from a light material, we then went down to the skips to try and find resources, we ended up with plywood and polystyrene packaging. The idea then evolved into a square structure using the polystyrene and connecting wheels to it, with balloons attached to the back to push the machine forward.
From these ideas we then made a small model demonstrating how the machine would work with accompanying images as a visual aid to show how various parts would work.
Posted by Nix at 8:54 AM
Once i got the brief for the drawing machine i went about researching the idea on the internet to see if there were any existing machines out there to start getting ideas for mine. I also got images for ones that i considered drawing machines, ie, tattoo gun, printers, football pitch markers.
Another idea i had was looking into moving part's particularly cams. The idea behind this was pens would be set at different parts on the cam connected to the axel of the wheels creating a pattern.
Posted by Nix at 8:43 AM